Operation Christmas Child 2019


I’m a college sophomore, and I’ve been packing shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child since I was a high school freshman. My high school Spanish Club packed shoeboxes every year, and I was always happy to help. In fact, I was so passionate about packing shoeboxes that my teacher made me Vice-President of the Spanish Club in 11th grade. That meant I was completely in charge of organizing our shoebox packing party...which was pretty chaotic, to say the least. But I’m grateful for the experience because I learned a lot about Operation Christmas Child. 

First of all, I learned what NOT to put in a shoebox. Liquids (including toothpaste) are not allowed in shoeboxes. Candy, chocolate, and other food items are also off-limits. And—obviously—you shouldn’t put anything violent or war-related in the shoeboxes, because many children who receive them live in war-torn countries where the threat of violence is very real. 

Also, I learned what to pack for the different age/gender groups that receive shoeboxes. For ages 2-4, coloring books and markers are a good idea. For older kids (5-9 and 10-14), it’s important to pack school supplies such as pencils, pens, and notebooks. Toy suggestions for boys include bouncy balls and Hot Wheels cars, while girls’ shoeboxes often include dolls and jump ropes. And all kids (regardless of age or gender) seem to like stuffed animals. 

This year I decided to pack a shoebox for a boy age 10-14, since that group tends to get the fewest boxes. Here’s what I put in my shoebox: 
  • Stuffed animal 
  • Bouncy ball
  • Hot Wheels car
  • Soap
  • Washcloth
  • Hairbrush
  • Comb
  • Socks
  • Deodorant
  • Notebook
  • Pencil bag
  • Pencils
  • Pens
  • Colored pencils
  • Pencil sharpener
  • Letter from me
Also, most importantly, I prayed for my shoebox. Last week I brought my shoebox to church so that my pastor could say a blessing over it. We prayed that the young man who receives my shoebox will know he is loved and that he will come to have a relationship with Jesus. 

Comments