My Review of The Five Love Languages


Recently I read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I've been wanting to read it for a while, so I'm glad that I finally got the chance. I enjoyed reading it because I feel that it's relevant to me. I always enjoy reading books that I can apply to my own life, especially when it comes to my relationships.

In his book, Chapman outlines the 5 "love languages," or ways of showing love:

• Words of Affirmation
• Physical Touch
• Giving Gifts
• Quality Time
• Acts of Service

Chapman proposes that we have 1 or 2 dominant love languages. For example, one person might need lots of physical touch while another values acts of service. While that's probably true, I think that a healthy relationship involves all 5 love languages. We need all of the love languages, even those that don't come as naturally to us.

While I was reading the book, I thought about my own relationships. I noticed that the "well-rounded" relationships (where we were fluent in all 5 love languages) were better off than the relationships where 1 or 2 love languages were missing.

Overall, Chapman's book provides excellent insight into relationships. He shows us that good relationships don't happen overnight. They require personal commitment and hard work. In a society that's obsessed with wealth and careers, it's easy to forget that our relationships are some of the most valuable investments we can make.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." —1 Corinthians 13:13

Comments