Why I’m Not Against Labels


As humans, we naturally want to label things (and people). We’re wired to notice patterns and lump together similar people, objects, ideas, etc. And you know what? Despite what our politically correct culture would tell you, labeling isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Of course nobody is defined by any one label. Of course we shouldn’t reduce people to stereotypes. But...

Labels still matter.

Labels, when they’re accurate, can be quite useful. If you’re short, I know you might need help reaching things on high shelves. If you’re left-handed, I know not to give you the right-handed scissors. If you have a learning disability, I know to be extra patient with you in certain areas. And if you’re gifted or twice-exceptional, I know that your mind works similarly to mine.

Labeling isn’t necessarily a better-than/worse-than statement. It just is what it is. When I point out that one can of soup is tomato and the other is chicken noodle, I’m not saying that tomato soup is better. I’m just saying that they’re different. So, why can’t we understand that when it comes to people? Labeling is not a statement of value. Labeling is a way to accept reality—to accept people as they truly are.

Comments